WordPress gives you great freedom of creating the website of any structure, from a dynamic traditional website to a static website using a headless or decoupled approach.
Unfortunately, static-site generators (SSG) seldom come seldom handed over to purchasers. SSGs like NextJS, Jekyll, Hugo, and Gatsby are designed for developers. Navigating version branches, changing Markdown documents, and running command-line build processes is frustrating for editors returning from the globe of one-click commercial enterprise on a content management system.
The benefits are:
- simpler preparation and static hosting
- better security;
- Few back-end dependencies
- easy backup
- great development experience, and
- super-fast performance
How do you use headless WordPress with SSGs?
Headless WordPress uses APIs to connect with any frontend framework decoupled from the traditional WP platform. This helps in managing headless technology with WordPress by using static site generators like Gatsby and Next with headless WordPress by using GraphQL APIs.
Headless content management systems (CMSs) provide:
A content delivery platform device to manage pages, posts, media, categories, tags, etc.
Web page generation systems to insert content into templates. This generally happens on demand once a user requests a page.
This has some drawbacks:
Sites could also be affected by the CMS and its plugins.
- Content is usually kept in HTTP, therefore re-use is troublesome — for instance, mistreatment of equivalent content in an exceedingly mobile app.
- The page rendering method will be slow. CMSs typically provide caching choices to boost performance, however, whole sites will disappear once the information fails.
- Switching to associate degree alternative/better CMS isn’t straightforward.
- To provide further flexibility, a headless CMS incorporates a content electrical device however, rather than page templating, information will be accessed via associate degree API. Any range of systems will then use equivalent content.
For example, an SSG may fetch all content at build time associate degreed render a whole website another SSG may build a website in an exceedingly completely different manner — for instance, with premium content a mobile app may fetch content on-demand to point out the newest updates
What are SSGs
Static site generators are an alternate of the theme system in traditional web development using a monolithic CMS. A static website generator like Gatsby and NextJS is a tool that generates a full static hypertext markup language, website-supported data and a collection of templates. Primarily, a static website generator automates the task of secret writing individual hypertext markup language pages and gets those pages able to serve to users before time. As a result of these hypertext markup language pages being pre-built, they will load terribly quickly in users’ browsers.
Headless WordPress Pros
- Performance: as a result of static website generators producing webpages before rather than on-demand (as with a CMS), webpages load slightly quicker in users’ browsers.
- Customization: Developers will produce any example they need. they’re not restricted by the fields provided by a CMS, nor by a CMS’s intrinsical templates.
- Lighter backend: Static websites square measure light-weight and don’t need the maximum amount of code to run on the server facet, whereas CMS-based websites perpetually question the server-facet for content.
- Easier Management: Headless WordPress allows you to manage the website conveniently using the commonly used admin panel like that of using Gutenberg.
Headless WordPress Uses
Frontend frameworks are very useful once developers are ab initio building an internet site. However, frontend frameworks on their own don’t generate markup language webpages, unless a developer uses extra tools.
A static website generator will be used beside a framework for a developer to speedily get a totally designed website or application prepared to be used. Most static website generators enable developers to use any framework they require.
The best use of headless WordPress is in respect of backend only platforms using APIs like GraphQL APIs and ReactJS based SSGs like Gatsby and NextJS as a SSG. There are several benefits of using headless WordPress like being open source it allows community support and REST APIs helps in managing the frontend separately.
Using pre-built templates headless WordPress Websites
If all this seems too complex for you, you can manage using pre-built templates and themes based on SSGs and plugins from headless CMS like headless WordPress for creating a modern website. Stackground is a premium platform that provides you with pre-built templates using headless WordPress for backend and Gatsby or Next for frontend. This allows you to manage everything without coding using the headless builder and Gutenberg where you can manage content, color, font style, and more on the same platform.
A headless WordPress Themes website is one that uses WordPress for managing content and a few alternative custom frontend stacks to truly show that content to a site traveler. whereas a website engineered with headless WordPress has several advantages, one among the first benefits of this approach is decoupling content redaction groups and developers.
With Headless WordPress, a promoting team and content team will still use their acquainted WordPress interface, and also the development team will use the tools they love like React, GraphQL, during a so-and-so seo expert workflow they’re snug with.
Headless WordPress allows content writers to use a well-recognized interface whereas giving internet developers the flexibility to use any frontend technology stack.